Thursday, October 8, 2009

stART-The Apple Pie Tree


This is our first week doing stART. I didn't have time to go to the library this week so we used a book that is new to our collection to start our new journey participating in this program. We read The Apple Pie Tree by Sheri Halpern. I loved the book's detailed depiction of an apple tree changing throughout the seasons. The art is beautiful and there were enough little details to keep my kids interested on every page. And since we went to an apple orchard for the first time this year and brought home 20 plus pounds of apples, we've been making lots of apple desserts lately. I wanted my kids to see how amazing a little apple can be.

So, I started by recreating the cycle of the apple tree that is in the book. I pre-cut out all the pieces and my 5 year old glued them down. As he was putting together each new cycle of the tree, we were able to talk about everything in detail. He liked learning about the blossoms blooming and then falling off to make way for baby apples. And he loved adding a little color to his final apple. Here is his finished product.


And I also cut an apple in half to make two stamps- one red and one green. My kids had a great time stamping away.


My two year old's messier version.

This a no fail project. Turns out great every time. They did a good job!

9 comments:

Susana said...

Hannah, this is awesome!! They both did a great job! You are so creative.

I am so glad you joined me in stART and so glad you linked it too!

It was GREAT to talk with you today too:-).

Christy Killoran said...

Wow! Fantastic ideas! I have never read that book. I'll look for it when we go to the library. Isn't stArt fun? I look forward to reading more on your blog. Susana told me about you.

Dj and Becky said...

Love the Mountaineer shirt!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

This is a new book to us, but it looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Adriana said...

Cute project! We tried to do apple painting a couple of months ago but we had to stop because M wouldn't stop eating the apples!

Playing by the book said...

I shall definitely be looking out this book - sounds lovely!
Zoe
Playing by the book
http://www.kuvik.net/ztoft/playingbythebook/

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

We love this book too, and your tree lifecycle project looks beautiful. The picture of Audrey with her project is super cute. Thanks for sharing!

Christy Killoran said...

I just wanted to let you know that I picked up this book from the library today. Thanks for the recommendation!

Michelle said...

What great projects!! I am so glad you were able to share with us. Thanks for linking up :0)